The perfect choices for watersports and cruising alike
The river Saône has its source in the Vosges at Vioménil, and joins the wider river Rhône at Lyon, having traveled 473 km.
Map of the canals and rivers
2 hotel barge cruises
FinesseCanal du Centre
Self-drive boats in this region
Locaboat have 14 different self-drive boats for you to choose from.
Nicols have 15 different self-drive boats for you to choose from.
France Passion Plaisance
France Passion Plaisance have 11 different self-drive boats for you to choose from.
Le Boat have 28 different self-drive boats for you to choose from.
River Saône information
We offer a variety of cruises on the river Saône, so, whether you wish to cruise for one week or two, for just a few hours per day or up to 7 hours, we are sure to have a route to suit you.
The river takes you on a beautiful journey past craggy cliffs through a rolling landscape of valleys, forests and vineyards. Quaint medieval villages and Roman towns will delight the historians, and of course, all will appreciate the fine wines and gastronomy of the region.
Fishing is a popular sport here, and the river is well-stocked. Canoeing, jet skiing and snorkelling are all possible too.
Vineyards are close by and heading southwards from Dijon with the Côte de Beaune, then the Côte de Nuits, the Côte Chalonnaise, the Mâconnaise and then arriving at the Beaujolais vineyards before arriving at Lyon.
Places to visit near the rivers and canals
- Fontaine de Confracourt near Pont-sur-Saône
- Château de Talmay near Pontailler-sur-Saône
- Beaune and the Hospices
- Abbaye Notre-Dame de Citeaux
- The market of Louhans
- Chateau de Corcelles near Belleville
Heading downstream on the River Saône
- The old streets of Verdun-sur-le-Doubs
- Chalon-sur-Saône with the Nicéphore Niépce photography museum and old half-timbered houses.
- Abbaye Saint-Philibert in Tournus
- Museum Ursulines, Maison du Bois, the arches of the Pont Saint-Laurent, and the old streets in the Saint Vincent quarter.
- Hotel de Ville in Belleville-en-Beaujolais
- Château de Fléchères Fareins
- Automobile Museum of Henri-Malartre in Rochetaillée-sur-Saône
- Highlights of Lyon
- Montée des Chazeaux
- Montée du Garillan
- Basilique Notre-Dame de Fourvière
- Musée des Arts de la Marionnette
- Rue Saint-Jean
- Place des Jacobins
- Musée d'Histoire de Lyon
- Place Bellecour
On the Doubs and the Canal Rhône au Rhin
- Citadelle de Besançon and its museums, the old streets of the town centre.
- The town of Dole, the birthplace of Louis Pasteur, the Hospice, and the old streets on the river bank.
And restaurants along the waterways
- Château de Vauchoux at Vauchox near Port-sur-Saône
- La Chaumière at Dole on the River Doubs
- L'Amaryllis at Chalon-sur-Saône
- L'Écrin de Yohann Chapuis and Aux Terrasses in Tournus
- Le Rasin in Pont-de-Vaux
- Pierre in Mâcon
- Gaulin at Mâcon
- Georges Blanc at Vonnas near Macon (*** Michelin)
- Restaurant Paul Bocuse, Collonges-au-Mont-d'Or near Lyon (** Michelin)
- Auberge de l'Ile de Barbe in Lyon
- There are 8 one star Michelin rated restaurants in the city of Lyon